Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 30 and 31


Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
Marjane Satrapi
2004, hardcover
Durham County Library

I first read Persepolis at the end of my first year of graduate school due to the truly fabulous Claire. I've been meaning to read the second book ever since but, to prepare for the film's arrival here next week, and armed with my library card, I finally got a hold of book 2. Previously people had told me they liked book one more than book two, but I have to say Persepolis 2 resonates with me far more than the first, even though I loved the first book.

Lines and parts of note:
p. 19 "Where are you going on vacation?" "Nowhere. I'm going to read. I love reading."
p. 24 "If I'd had anything fun to do, I don't think I would would ever have read as much as I did."
p. 40- wanting to forget everything
p. 43- Grandmother being right- "If I wasn't comfortable with myself, I would never be comfotable."
p. 54- "My lack of interest in others made me more interesting."
p. 87
p. 90- "I think I prefered..."
p. 93 "I spent a good part of the night in the emptiness, just happy to be there."
p. 102 a hauntingly exquisite drawing about detainess and execution
p. 105- last frame
p. 112 lesson learned- last frame
p. 113 last frame
p. 114 "My secrets weighed me down."
p. 118- "I was nothing."
p. 125- not complementing each other and complementing each other
p. 139- the first class was Art History
p. 144 My favorite quote- "It's fear that makes us lose our conscience. It's also what transforms us into cowards."
p. 148- the regime and thought
p. 159- "Life is too short to be lived badly."
p. 163- "I had suddenly become a "married woman." I had conformed to society, while I had always wanted to remain in the margins."
p. 164- "I needed to believe in someone again."
p. 164 and some earlier pages have excellent uses of blah, blah, blah
p. 168- The Satellite chapter- "The worst is that the intervention in Kuwait is done in the name of human rights!! Which rights? Which humans?" This and the other quote are definitely the top lines for me, but they are both of the same limb.
p. 172 "My father was right. Anyone could get married."
p. 173 "...one must educate oneself."
p. 178 bears a striking resemblance to Loretta Lynn's song Rated X.
p. 179 Grandma's comment about being happier

No comments: